Here’s a nice recipe from the Park Hotel Kenmare for a quick scone mix, if you have time. Park Hotel Kenmare scones (makes twelve)
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt, and sift into a large mixing bowl.
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender or rub it in using your fingers until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Add egg, milk and vanilla pod seeds, and mix well.
- Add sultanas and orange zest and blend thoroughly.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and roll to a half h thickness.
- Cut into rounds using a 2½ inch / 5 cm biscuit-cutter and place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake at 325°F / Gas mark 3 / 170°C for 14 to 17 minutes or until bottoms are firm. Remove from oven and place scones on a wire rack to cool.
- Serve with butter, freshly whipped or clotted cream and fresh raspberries or jam.
Scone Ingredients 280 g plain flour ¼ tsp baking powder ½ tsp salt 130 g unsalted butter 70 g sugar 1 large egg 150 ml buttermilk Seeds of ¼ of a vanilla pod, scraped out 60 g sultanas Zest of one orange